The Trials, Joy, Obsession, and Transformation of Getting My Bicycle




The Desire

Like most kids in my day, I got my first two wheeler when I was around seven or eight years old.  It was a rite of passage.  My first two wheeler was probably a Huffy.  I thought my grandpa, who often fixed things up he found in the dump, had put on a motorcycle seat.  I didn't realize that actually Huffy had made a bike like that, so it probably was the seat that came with it.  Best seat ever!


My childhood bike resembled this, except it was red.

I remember that he put the training wheels a bit too high, so they really didn't help me.  Still, I remember the joy one day when I realized I was no longer falling to either side, but managing to stay balanced on it.  It had been almost unconscious...like it was when I learned to swim.  I was doing it, and it took me a while to realize I was doing it.

Bicycles represented freedom for most kids.  It was when they were allowed to ride to school and to their friends' houses.  Not me, however.  I wasn't allowed to go all the way down the block, much less leave it.  Perhaps this is why I didn't have particularly wonderful memories of riding a bicycle, except the pride in accomplishing something that was initially difficult.

My next bike was purple and had a banana seat.  I hated those seats! They were damn uncomfortable! I rode it maybe three or four times.  One day, I came home--and all the neighborhood kids were assembled at the end of the block--all on their bikes.  They looked like a blockade.  They looked rather threatening.  My mom didn't want me to go out, since the neighborhood kids were ruffians.  I didn't want to go out since I was outnumbered.  That ended my bike riding.  Now looking back, I wonder if we hadn't of over-reacted a bit.  I started noticing people riding bicycles down my block as soon as I started doing it--and I now think there is a strange  instant bond with bicyclists that just gives you the urge to show off your bicycle.

Thirty-two years passed, and I never thought about riding a bicycle.  Aside from the fact I didn't feel safe for many years in my neighborhood to do it, I may have been influenced by the time I grew up in.  Bicycles were a rite of passage, but they eventually were replaced by another rite of passage--the car.  Riding a bicycle after you were 15 years old was just...weird.  The fact that we had the saying, "You never forget how to ride a bicycle" probably existed because it was something people gave up.  If people never stopped, they wouldn't worry about forgetting how to do it.  We'd probably have a different saying if people never stopped...like maybe, "Bicycling is like breathing...you always do it."

Though I had eagerly learned to ride a bicycle when I was younger, I was never able to complete the second rite of passage.  I was terrified of driving.  The whole idea of getting behind the wheel just made me want to vomit.  Yet, public transit had its problems and limitations. Over the years, Florida has become more congested.  Our lanes have increased in size.  This has made my car phobia even worse.

I don't know if this problem got me considering bicycling again, or whether I was influenced by the growing trend.  Everywhere I went, I saw people bicycling.  Many looked like they were having fun.  My neighborhood got bike lanes.  I started thinking that maybe bicycling would be a good stepping stone for me between being a pedestrian and driving.  Bicycles interact with traffic more than pedestrians do.  Maybe it would lessen my fear, and in the meantime I probably could go farther on a bike than on my own two feet.

The thought became almost obsessive.  I really did begin to wonder if I was being influenced by government mind waves my conspiracy theorists friends talk about.  If I was, though, I was actually happy about it.  The nice thing about mind control is that I was on the same page as everyone else.  For most of my life, I've either liked things before they became cool or after they were no longer cool.  As long as mind control is just telling me to ride a bike and not to hate Jews or black people, I'm just fine with it.

I had a lot of reservations.  One, despite the saying you never forget, I hadn't ridden a bike since I was a child.  My body has changed greatly since then.  What if I couldn't do it?  I had tried getting on bicycles in the stores in the past, and they seemed too high and too awkward.  It was an expensive item to purchase.  Florida is hot and humid much of the time.  Could I even tolerate bicycling even if I could do it?  I pictured buying it, riding it once or twice, and then it collecting dust in storage.  I don't make so much money that I can afford to waste it.  I was also worried about my knees.  My knees are a sensitive area, and I've often had problems with certain physical activities because of them.  I had to give up rollerblading because my knees just couldn't tolerate it.  I remembered an exercise bike had caused me problems too.

The thought continued to torment me.  I started to resent people I saw on bicycles.  Part of me felt like throwing a rock at them.  I know that is horrible.  I've not suffered from envy too much in my life, but I was struck down by it at this point.  They just looked like they were having so much fun and looked so free, and I didn't know if I could handle riding a bicycle and having that experience.

I decided to do some research.  I think I was hoping that the research would talk me out of it.  It would convince me that it was a totally stupid idea to take up a bicycle at 40 years of age.  I should concentrate on getting a driver's license.

I found a website that talked about what size bike you should get that fit your height, and it discussed all the types of bikes.  I decided for my needs, a cruiser would be best.  I also wanted a bike that had a basket in the front and a rack in the back that could carry additional stuff.  A beverage holder would be nice too.  They claimed that a 26" bike would be best for someone my size.  I wasn't so certain.  Twenty-six inch bikes had seemed too big for me, and I was actually considering going down a size to 24 inch.  However, they said that you shouldn't ride a bike that is too small for you because it could damage your knees.

So I started looking at 26" bikes.  Initially, I had favored a blue bike that was being sold by Target--a Huffy Nassau Cruiser.  There was also a yellow bicycle whose color I loved--but it didn't have the accessories I wanted.  It was a Schwinn Legacy bicycle.  While comparing the bicycles, I stumbled upon another one.


It was love at first sight when I saw this bicycle.

The Huffy Catalina 26" Cruiser (pictured above).  You know how in the movies, when they show two people falling in love, they play violin music and show the couple racing towards each other in a field of flowers?  Well, I literally heard violins in my head when I saw this bike.  I saw me running down the hill and the bike riding down the opposite hill towards me.  I have never heard violins for a person, but I heard it for a bicycle.  At that moment, I knew...THAT WAS MY BICYCLE! I WAS DESTINED TO RIDE THAT BICYCLE! Any thoughts that I was too old, that I couldn't do it, that it would be too hot, or that it would hurt my knees vanished.

What is funny is that I didn't even think it was the prettiest bicycle I had seen.  However, I had fallen in love with the accessories.  It had a HUGE basket...the biggest I've ever seen.  Size does matter in some things.  That was a bike that I could do things with.  I could mail my own packages and pick up a few non-perishable groceries.

It was a little more expensive than I had wanted to pay.  The bikes I had considered before were definitely cheaper, ranging from $119-$149.  This bike was $249.  However, Sports Authority was having a sale that took off a certain amount, and I would also qualify for free shipping.  I broke in to my savings account and decided to buy it.  I felt a little guilty, as I had vowed not to break into my savings account...but this was an investment for my future.  I wouldn't have to rely on my mom so much if I had my own transportation, and I could gain a bit more independence while I studied for my driver's license.

I chose to have it delivered to my house.  I wondered if I shouldn't have it assembled at the store, but I didn't much relish trying to bring it home in the car.  I didn't even know if it would fit in the trunk.  I saw no reason why I couldn't put a bicycle together.  I've put together furniture.  I've installed a shower head and replaced an electrical socket.  Certainly I could put a bicycle together.

Sports Authority claimed it would take up to two weeks for the bike to be delivered.  My excitement had been agitated, and that wait seemed interminable.

What Came Before

Let me explain my prior situation to you.  I don't want to get into my life story, but to totally appreciate how much my bicycle has changed my life...you need to know what it was like before.

As a young person, I had the mind of what appeared to be an adventurer.  I wanted to jump out of an airplane, even though I tended to get dizzy standing on a stepladder.  I wanted to travel all over the world.  I wanted to climb mountains.  I had wanted to be an archaeologist.  I had fears, but being afraid of things gave me even more motivation to do them.  I was afraid of water, so I wanted to learn how to swim.

I was happy at home too.  I had the reputation of being a "home girl".  I liked crafts.  I had tons of interests that kept me occupied.  My home was a sanctuary.

I don't quite know what happened.  I had a terminally ill stepfather that I helped take care of for years.  Many of my plans were put aside so that I could help my mother.  As I got older, I stopped going out as much.  At first, it was because someone needed to stay at home and keep an eye on my stepfather.  However, later I stopped wanting to go out.  Going out was too stressful.  I had something that resembled claustrophobia when I was out in public.  I felt like people and things were pressing in.  I'd come home feeling so drained.  I would actually feel nauseous.

I began to question myself.  Was I really an adventurer?  I thought the answer was no.  I don't want to travel.  If I travel, I'll have to deal with people.  People are stressful.  Particularly foreign people who have different ideas, social etiquette, etc.  I have a lot of allergies too.  I might get food poisoning, murdered by extremists, raped and kidnapped by sex slavers.

I thought many of my problems would be relieved after my stepfather died.  That sounds terrible to say, but the fact was taking care of someone who was terminally ill did cause a lot of stress. In addition, my stepfather had mental health issues, and a botched brain surgery had left him mentally disabled.

Though the stress was reduced and my physical health improved after my stepfather's death, my fears did not go away.  I began to question who I really was.  I began to suspect that I wasn't listening to what I truly wanted, but that I was under the influence of phobias that had developed over the years.  I had the memory of who I had once been.  What happened to that Jessica?  What is complicated is that sometimes we really do change.  We gain knowledge and experience, and suddenly something stops appealing to us.  I learned about the physical difficulties that are involved in climbing Mount Everest, and I probably will never choose to do that now.  However, I may choose to climb a mountain that is at a lower elevation.  I may modify many of my desires to match my overall health and abilities.

However, it was surprisingly hard trying to figure out what I didn't really want to do and what I was merely afraid to do.  My fears gave such logical reasons.  Yet, I realized that I had allowed them to rule my life.  I got to the point where I couldn't tolerate leaving my house, and I was afraid of everyone.  It had become unhealthy.

I started taking walks, and that did help me.  I enjoyed taking the bus too.  However, they were both tiring.  I could only go so far on my own two feet, and there is a lot of waiting in the hot sun for public transit.  Yet, my fear of driving was a particularly strong fear that had an iron grip on me.

I wasn't really certain if a bicycle would be the answer...but I guess I was hoping it would be, if only to get me accustomed to traffic so that I could learn to drive.  Despite the violins, it hadn't occurred to me I would love it.  I just thought of it as a stepping stone.  Overcoming fears often requires baby steps when dealing with the really bad ones.

The Trials

Excited as I was, my fears rallied almost immediately.  They produced so many scenarios about why riding a bicycle was a bad idea.  I'd probably would still have to take the bus for things that were far away.  I didn't know how to put bikes on the rack, and probably the bus driver would expect me to know that.  He'd get angry if I asked for help or was too slow.  I had never actually witnessed this when I took the bus.  Bus drivers were generally pretty friendly and helpful, and even the sullen ones would help you out.  I was afraid of making mistakes.  I was afraid I'd take too long to cross the street, and drivers would honk at me...and maybe they would just run me over if I didn't get out of the crosswalk in time.  Yeah, I was just certain that in the driver's manual, there was a rule that stated it was okay to run over people if they took too long to cross the street.  I was afraid I'd be trapped in the middle of the road when the light changed.  I was worried I'd get lost and never find my way back.  I would run out of water and die from heat stroke or dehydration...or maybe starvation.  I was afraid I would wind up on a road I shouldn't be on--like an interstate highway with fast traffic.  What if I get the bicycle, and then it is stolen almost right away?  Could I handle losing a big-price item...and what if I get stranded somewhere because of it?

To calm my fears, I started doing research about the things that I was afraid of.  Google Maps became my best friend.  I even discovered that it has an icon for bicyclists...though I don't know if it totally chooses the safest roads.  However, I assumed that it would probably not direct me to a road where bicycles shouldn't be on.  I've never had it put me on I-95 as of yet.  I watched a Youtube video about putting your bicycle on the bus.  I did research about bike locks and how to keep your bike from getting stolen.  Admittedly, this was rather frustrating.  The truth is, given enough time and the right tools, any thief can get your bike...but you can make it difficult.  However, everybody disagreed about what U-locks were best.  Kryptonite is considered the best brand, but Kryptonite has many problems with their keys breaking with many models...and then some people claimed the locks could be picked.  Frustrating as it was, doing research did help me deal with my fears--though every so often it would give me something else to worry about that hadn't occurred to me.

I received an email that told me my bike would be delivered the next day, a day early than the original date given.  The next day, I waited.  I didn't go out in fear of missing the UPS guy.  I jumped at every sound.  Packages were delivered, but all were too small to be a bicycle.  Nine o'clock that night, I rechecked the email...and realized my mistake.  I had checked the email at one o'clock in the morning, and it hadn't occurred to me that I was on a different day.  I thought it was the 15th still, and so "tomorrow" was going to be the 16th.  However, because it was 1 a.m., it was already the 16th, so "tomorrow" was actually the 17th.

So, the next day I'm waiting again.  I don't want to go anywhere, so it is another day of putting plans on hold.  I'm even more twitchy than I was the day before.  However, finally it comes...in a very heavy and rather filthy box.  The box was covered in black dust that made me sneeze.  I was pleased the bike had been delivered early.  I was thinking I could get it together and manage to ride it before the sun went down.

I took it out of the box.  If I remember correctly, it came in nine pieces: the main frame, front fender, front wheel, handlebars, drink holder, basket, seat, pedals, and back rack.  The main frame had the bike chain and back wheel assembled.  The back fender was attached to the frame, though its bars had to be attached to the back wheel.  In pieces, it looked like the bike would fit me.  I looked at the instructions.  I got the tools they said I would need:  screwdriver, wrench, pliers, and flathead screwdriver (I think).  I got my camcorder ready to record putting together my baby. 

I was ready.  Step 1, attach the front fender to the front wheel (or I think that was step 1).  I grab my screwdriver.  I go to unscrew the screws in the front wheel (the hard ware came screwed into the pieces).  I strained to loosen this screw--which was really tight! I check to see if I'm using the right size screwdriver.  I am.  I wonder if I'm screwing in the right direction.  I seem to be.  Left-loosey, righty-tighty.  Maybe Huffy does it backwards?  I keep straining, putting all my weight into it.  The screwdriver keeps slipping, and the screws look like they are in danger of being stripped before I get them off.  I call my mom, because she can open the toughest pickle jar tops, so I figure she can loosen the screws.  But no! They don't budge.

By then, I'm about to cry...and I am thoroughly ticked.  I wonder if the screws have been super glued into the frame.  I start understanding why fathers are often in a bad mood on Christmas Day when their kids wake up to find out that Santa brought them bicycles.  Probably dad spent all night putting the bicycles together--and probably spending more time and effort than he expected.

I was kicking myself now.  Why didn't I have the bike assembled at the store?  It was a free service.  Suddenly, bringing the bike home in the car didn't seem like such an inconvenience.  However, I didn't want a bike that I couldn't take apart.  Bikes need maintenance.  They need their tires changed occasionally.  I guess you can hire someone to do it, but I would prefer to be able to do my own maintenance...particularly in emergencies.

I remembered the drill we had with screwdriver attachments.  I decided to take it out of storage and charge it up.  I wouldn't be riding that day, but if I was in luck, I could put it together the next day after the drill loosened the screws.  I was really disappointed, because I had been really excited...and again there was another delay! However, I felt pretty optimistic that a power tool could budge those stubborn screws.

The next morning I wake up.  I don't even eat breakfast or change out of my nightgown.  I grab the drill.  I figure out how to put the attachment in.  I set it into the screw and lick my lips.  The moment of truth...will I have victory and untighten the screw, or will I fail?

I activate the switch.  The drill bit slips out of the screw.  I try again.  That screw ain't budging.  I look down in disbelief.  How can it still not turn?  I used a power tool!  I try the screwdriver again, hoping against hope that maybe the drill at least loosened the sucker...and maybe with just a bit more elbow grease, it will loosen.  Oh, speaking of grease, we even sprayed it with WD-40 at some point.  That didn't help and made the screw even more slippery.  Worse, the screws were stripping with our efforts to untighten them.

I felt so stupid and frustrated.  I wanted to scream and cry.  I couldn't put a bike together! Why did I think getting a bicycle was such a good idea?  Bicycles are for kids! This was like the dumbest idea I could have!

With a heavy heart, I packed the bicycle up--or tried to.  Had a hard time getting it back into the box.  My mom and I made plans the next day to return the bicycle to the store.

I woke up early the next morning.  I bitterly ate my oatmeal.  Sports Authority had said that I could still have the bike put together for free if I brought it in.  This bike, though, seemed to promise me nothing but pain...and I was considering just to ask for a refund and forget this whole idea.

I didn't want to inconvenience my mom more than I already was (she was going to take me to the store).  The box was heavy.  My cart was broken, but I managed to fix it.  I took the box out and put it into the trunk.  The box stuck out, so it was good that I managed to figure out how to put the seats down.  I had to tie it up.

Unfortunately, my good intentions wound up being inconsiderate in a way.  My mom hadn't wanted to leave right away, but of course we didn't want to leave the bike out there.  The car and bike would be a target for thieves.  It also looked like it would rain.  My mom was upset.  Being elderly, she really wanted time to make sure she wouldn't have to poop.  My trying to be helpful didn't allow for that.  We had to leave right away.  We said a prayer to the intestines' god to please not have my mom poop her pants.

It was a tense ride.  We worried the bike would fall out, though I had tied it securely.  We worried it would rain.  We had to go up a steep hill.

To shove the blade deeper into my heart, there were tons of bicyclists out, including a girl who was riding the blue Nassau I had admired at Target.  I began to waver about the refund.

We arrived at the store.  Two greeters met us at the door and directed us to customer service.  The staff was very nice and helpful, but they looked totally perplexed when I asked for the bike to be assembled.  Apparently, they didn't know how to fill out the paper work for that.  Most people bring their bikes in for repairs and other maintenance services that Sports Authority offers.  The guy who put the bicycles together wasn't there that day, so I was going to have to leave it.  It would probably be a week before I was able to get it back.

While the staff called the main office to figure out how to do the paperwork, I glanced over at the bicycles.  I wondered if my bike was available, and if I could do an exchange instead.  However, I was afraid to ask.  Customers had filed behind us, and though one of the cashiers was taking care of them...there was that embarrassment in being the customer that was slowing things down.  I didn't want to make things more complicated than they were.

My mom, though, wound up making the suggestion when things continued to be confused.  I went over to the bike area, not expecting to find my model...but there it was! It was a little grungy, and someone had thrown some type of cardboard roll into the basket.  I didn't care.  I tried to get on it but couldn't.  I blamed my outfit.

I went to the register with a grin that went from ear to ear.  Everything was going to be okay.  The bike was checked over.  I was tempted to ask the guy if he could see if it fit me, but everything seemed so confused already--and we had already taken up so much time.  I guess I didn't want to risk going home empty-handed.  This was rather foolish, for a return would be even more inconvenient.  Still, I guess I'm glad I did the foolish thing, for this story does have a happy ending.

But the trials were not over.  I got the bike home.  I mounted it, only to discover that my toes were an inch off the ground.  I tried to undo the screw to lower the seat, but it wouldn't budge.  My eyes started watering.  I did not want to go back inside and tell my mom that after all that, I couldn't ride the bike...and we would have to bring it back.

My mom took it well, which was good because I burst into tears.  I was pretty pathetic looking.  I couldn't believe this was happening to me.  I heard violins! Violins aren't supposed to be wrong! This bike was supposed to be my destiny!

My mom searched the internet for other bicycles that were 24 inches.  However, none of them were as cool as this bike.

"Look!" she said, showing me this hideously colored bicycle, "This is a zombie Cinderella bicycle--and it comes with a backpack!" I burst into more tears and sulked.  I didn't want a zombie Cinderella bicycle.

I was so depressed.  It was the story of my life.  Every time I wanted something badly, something always happened to interfere with me not getting it.  That is why I had always tried not to want anything.  I couldn't stand looking at the bike, which was parked in my room.  It represented dashed dreams.  I felt I had been lied to.  I felt there was some huge conspiracy amongst the bicycling companies to murder short people.

One thing I have learned in my old age is that the reason why I failed in the past is because whenever I encountered an obstacle, I would quit.  It never occurred to me to try to find a way over the obstacle.  The one good thing that has happened at the late age of forty is that suddenly I have both the idea to overcome obstacles and the ability to brainstorm solutions on how to do it.  I regret the lost opportunities of the past, but I also realize that young Jessica didn't have the ability to find her way around things.

The next day was when the gears started turning in the old noggin.  I woke up, and before I even ate breakfast, I was rummaging through my stepfather's old tools.  I remembered a tool.  I didn't know the name of it at the time (socket wrench), but I knew what it looked like.

The junk room is a mausoleum of what remains of my stepfather's passing interests and get-rich-quick schemes.  He spent a lot of money on equipment that always wound up collecting dust:  the knife sharpening set, square foot gardening supplies, carpentry books and tools, a Casio keyboard, a typewriter, how to draw comics book, etc.  Some stuff we gave away and some was thrown out after he died.  Some stuff we kept because it might be useful--or we didn't know what it was and worried we would need it.


A socket wrench set is the tool of choice for me to remove the screws on my bike.

My mom had contacted Huffy already asking how to lower the seat.  Huffy is a wonderful company when it comes to customer service.  They answer very promptly, though they are not ones to write long letters.  They courteously answer the question as simply as possible.

To my great elation, with the socket wrench, I was easily able to untighten the screw and lower the seat.  My joy was short-lived.  Even all the way down (which Huffy doesn't recommend doing), my toes still couldn't reach the ground.

I pondered the problem.  The accessories I wanted can be purchased separately, so I could buy them for another bike that lacked them.  However, 24 inch bikes could only handle so much weight--which is why they aren't accessorized and why 26 inch bikes are recommended for adults.

I called a bike shop.  They said a bike can be altered, but the starting rate was $75.00--and that didn't include the cost of parts.  Some people solve the problem by putting on smaller wheels, but I didn't like this idea because I didn't think it would be safe.  I looked into adult training wheels (yes, they actually have those), but this didn't appeal to me for two reasons.  One, I wanted the pride in being able to ride a two wheeler.  Mostly, though, I was worried it would make the bike too wide to safely ride around on the road.

I wondered if changing the seat could solve the problem.  The seat had elevating hardware underneath it, which probably made it comfortable--but was also responsible for adding a few inches.

I took the seat off.  I discovered that the underlying hardware was removable.  I took it off.  I had no way to put it on the post, so I put it on the back rack.  I mounted it--and hooray! My feet touched the ground.

It wasn't a perfect solution.  I worried the seat would move around, though it actually stayed in place.  However, it was recommended to not put more than 22 lbs. on the back rack--and I was certain my torso would weigh more than that.  I definitely could not use it for storage while it carried my butt.

However, it carried my weight for the moment.  I would continue to search for a better solution, but at that moment...the only thing I wanted to do was go out and ride my bicycle.

Joy, Obsession, and Naming My Bike

The big question here was would I be able to ride it?  Was it true you didn't forget?  I mounted it.  I put my foot on the pedal.  I started to push, and then I tried to put my foot on the second pedal.  I had to stick a leg out when I wobbled too far to the side, but I tried again.  Though I was wobbling a bit, suddenly I was riding! It was exhilarating!

It wasn't the best time to be out, though I pretty much stuck to the sidewalk.  It was late evening.  Cars, though, could tell I was a beginner and gave me plenty of room.  A man shouted encouragement--I had seen him teach his own daughter to ride her own bicycle just days earlier.  She had looked rather reluctant and petrified--and even after she had gotten the hang of it...she still seemed to have her doubts.  I kept riding until the light was too low.

I decided to name my bicycle Nikola--after the inventor Nikola Tesla...in honor of how Nikola made me use my noggin' to figure out a way to overcome the obstacles he presented.  When I had seen the bike online, I had planned to name it Gertrudis.  I didn't like the name, but it looked like a Gertrudis.  When I got it, though, I started referring to it as a "he"...and Gertrudis wasn't an appropriate name for a boy bike.

I didn't hold anything against Nikola for the previous grief he had caused me.  I instantly bonded now that there was no threat I'd have to return him.  Bike riding was an incredible experience--better than I remembered it being.  I was rather shocked at how it worked parts of my body and how strenuous it could be.  You would think bike riding would just involve the legs--but actually to maintain balance, all the muscles in your body work together.  I became aware of my obliques specifically.

The next day I went out and rode for three hours.  I practiced on the road this time, which was oddly much easier than the sidewalk.  I did run into some branches left in a pile once, and it always seemed I was in danger of running into fences.  Turning was not a strong point.  I was fascinated that roads have a smooth side and a rough side.  I can't tell if this is intentional or one side gets more wear.  By the end of three hours, though, I felt like I was doing much better.  Cars treated me differently too, feeling like they could drive by me with no possibility of an accident.

I made fast progress--faster than I anticipated actually.  Within a series of three weeks, I had a bunch of firsts.  First time I rode off the block.  First time I rode in a bike lane.  First time I crossed a busy street.  First place that I went to that was not in the neighborhood.  First time I got lost.  First time I discovered that "dip that didn't look so deep until I fell into it".  First time I locked up my bike to do something--being very relieved it was still there when I came back.  First time I crossed a major intersection that had several lanes.  First time I suffered road hypnosis. I probably explored more of my neighborhood in a month than I had in the 36 years I have lived here.

It was addictive.  Every night I went to bed, I looked forward to waking up so I could do a bike ride.  My mindset improved.  I had less depression and had more energy.  In fact, I started to worry that I was suffering from exercise addiction.  When I couldn't go out on a bike ride because of the weather, I became irritable and depressed.  One time I actually went riding when it was drizzling, which in hindsight was rather foolish and potentially dangerous.  I started to actually force myself to take days off to break the addiction...which I succeeded in doing, thank goodness.

I started dreaming about exploring the United States on my bike, even though it sounded crazy.  However, as it turns out, there is a group called Adventure Cyclists that do just that, and they print maps of routes bicyclists can use.  Though admittedly I would have to build up my stamina, I began to dream.  My horizons were opening up.  There are even tours to explore other countries! To learn more about Adventure Cyclists, visit this link:  http://www.adventurecycling.org/

Nikola isn't the type of bike that is normally used for those type of road trips, and yet I am determined that when I do it...he'll be part of the adventure.  Nikola wasn't built for speed--he is just a one speed bike.  He can actually carry quite a bit of weight, which makes him handy for errands...but I don't know if he can carry the amount of weight that may be required for a road trip.  However, aside from the fact that I have a relationship with my bike, there is one major reason why I would want him on a road trip...he is very reliable.  I've have encountered some of the worst road conditions with Nikola--oil slicks, wet roads, debris in the road, cracks, gravel, even a very dead cat that I had no choice but to go over because it wasn't safe to avoid it--and Nikola doesn't skid or go out of control.  Nikola was built for the roads, and he is reliable.  He even seems to be discovering his inner mountain bike.  Grass and dirt used to slow him down horribly, but now I'm able to even go off road a bit with no problems--good in my area, where sidewalks can abruptly end.  When I do a trip, I may have to make some accommodations for Nikola, but I wouldn't want any other bike to have my first adventure with.

What I love about biking is that aside from the fact it has encouraged me to explore my world, it has also helped me bond with other people.  I've been amazed at how people will approach me and call out greetings.  I don't even know them.  They will come up to talk like I'm an old friend.  At first, it unnerved me a bit--and I was confused about how to respond, having grown up being ingrained with the idea of "stranger danger".  In some ways, I started realizing what we lose when we stop trusting our fellow man.  My fears started decreasing quite a bit when I went over this hurdle, though it was a delicate balance.  A person does have to keep in mind of certain dangers.  There are predators out there.  However, that doesn't mean that when someone comes up to talk to you, you have to scream, "I don't know you! Stranger danger! Stranger danger!"  Where I used to find myself finding excuses not to talk to people, I started taking the time to talk to them.  Where I would automatically refuse invitations to block parties, I accepted one.

Not all experiences have been enjoyable or pleasant, but every one has been educational.  In two months, I had two accidents.  The first was due to my inexperience.  They say that the first year a person drives a car, they are very likely to have accidents.  It is true of bike riding as well.  No matter how much you try to be safe, no matter how much you study the rules of the road...experience is not something that can be taught.   Bike riding forced me to accept that I might make mistakes.  In this case, I had not realized how sharp a decline a path was.  I developed an unfortunate bad habit early on, which was using my feet to stop rather than the brakes.  This time, my feet couldn't slow the increasing speed of the bike.  I turned into the dirt to slow the bike down, but I wound up crashing into a gate.  Fortunately, I wasn't injured--and the bike only suffered some scraped off paint.

I had quite a few "almost misses" too.  Not everyone yields to pedestrians.  There are many cars on the road that don't have working turn signals.  Many people seem to speed up or don't slow down, so it is hard to tell when they are going to turn.  I've seen the people who have been texting on their phones and not looking.  I have come to hate the "right turns on red" people.  In all fairness, I've also seen that not all bad driving habits are done by car drivers.  I've seen people be just as idiotic on bicycles too.

The good news is that I've encountered more good drivers than bad.  However, when you have had a near miss, or you have had an accident--it is the bad ones that stick in your mind.  However, of the bad ones, I'm not sure how much of it is out of malicious behavior.  One problem when it comes to cyclists is that I don't think that cars totally understand the problems associated with bicycles.  Some seem to think I can stop faster than I can, particularly if I'm startled.  It is also probably true that someone who has never driven doesn't understand the problems a driver faces.  I hate right turns on red, but I don't totally blame the drivers.  They have to pull up in order to see oncoming traffic, but they also block my way--making me feel that pedestrian crosswalks and right turns on red don't mix well.  Even people who do idiotic things like drive 45 mph while looking down at their cell phones...obviously these people are not thinking of what could happen.  They endanger their lives as well as other people's, and if they understood that truly...I don't think they would do the behavior.

My second accident was more serious.  My mistake was to go out when it was overcast, when I was upset, and on graduation day when more than likely people had been drinking.  They warn you in the driver's manuals that your emotions can affect your driving, and  I've learned with riding my bicycle that I have to take this very seriously.  The bike is more sensitive to my moods--or let us say that my moods can cause several changes in my muscle control and perception...which the bike responds to.  However, the accident was mostly the blame of the other person.  I had the right of way.  A person making a right turn seemed to fail to notice me.  In order to avoid colliding with the truck, I purposely fell off the bike.  I didn't seriously hurt myself, thank goodness, and the bike didn't sustain damage.

One thing that was amazing with both accidents was how time slowed down.  Each incident probably happened in seconds, and yet each time I was totally conscious of what was happening.  Time seemed to slow down.  I had time to analyze the situation and take action.  Though I wasn't totally able to avoid the accidents, in both cases I believe I was able to do "damage control"--which resulted in less serious injuries and damage to the bike.  The first accident, I pulled into the dirt to slow the bike down and chose to run into a flexible fence than a heavy metal post.  The second accident, I chose to fall off the bike, which prevented a collision with a truck.

I was badly shaken after the second accident, and I worried my joy for bike riding was lost.  However, I recovered from the mental trauma, and I learned another lesson.  Anything worth doing in life involves certain risks.  When I go out, I try to be safe--and I try not to do anything that could cause an accident.  However, I have to accept that I share the road.  Just as I can make mistakes and not notice things until it is too late, I have to accept that this is true of other drivers.  

As I've said, accidents are bound to happen because you encounter situations that you don't have experience with...and sometimes there are just bad days, and you don't realize they are bad days until you are out in them.  I worried about summer coming because I worried about heat stroke.  However, summer brought another danger I hadn't known about.  The days are beautiful and dazzling, and you want to be out there riding.  However, bright dazzling days and air pressure can hypnotize a rider (and drivers).  You read books that talk about how summer can lull your mind--hence the "lazy days of summer".  Those lazy days are a threat.  The problem with road hypnosis is that you don't realize you are falling victim to it until something happens.  The driver's manual warns about it--but it is often associated with night driving.  However, the joy that bike riding has given to me is worth all the risks--and I always remember that after my scares.  Is it worth it?  Definitely!
 

As I've mentioned before, Huffy has been wonderful.  Since Nikola was a display model, he didn't come with an owner's manual.  Huffy sent me a pdf.  When Nikola threw a crucial screw, they sent me a replacement for free.  They have answered all my questions promptly.  I'm as impressed with the company as I am with their wonderful bike.

Problem Solved!

After a month, it became obvious that my torso weighed more than the recommended weight limit of 22 lbs. for the back rack.  I noticed it was starting to bend.  Worried this would result in more serious damage to the bike and injury to me in the future, I started pondering the problem and how to solve it.

I decided to try a new seat that didn't have the elevating hardware.  I was worried about the bike post.  Huffy recommends not letting it go past a certain point.  I don't know if it was a safety issue--they claimed the post would get stuck.  This is true.  My post got stuck, and I couldn't free it.  I just hoped there was enough of it to stick a seat on.

Shopping for bike seats can be rather embarrassing.  Some of them look like they should be in an x-rated adult emporium.  I was also amazed at how expensive they could get.  I got overwhelmed by all the different types.   In the end, it seemed that a person had to find a bicycle seat that was right for their butt.  What was booty heaven for some could be booty hell for others.

I chose a Schwinn bicycle seat.  It supposedly could fit all types of bikes, and I hoped this was true.  It cost $26.99 on Amazon.

I bought this bike seat for my Huffy, hoping it would fit without elevating me too high.

Much to my relief, I chose the right seat.  It fit on the bicycle post, but my toes could touch the ground.  It was hard as a rock, even with my gel seat cushion, but it didn't have pressure points...so oddly enough it was comfortable.  I definitely noticed that I had more control over the bike when I was sitting on the seat post like I should.  However, I learned another important lesson.  If you make any changes to your bike that alters how you ride, you need to get used to them before resuming your regular activities.  I had learned a bad habit before of using my feet to stop the bike, but now that I was propped on my toes--I had to use my brakes.  I've always regretted this bad habit, because every so often I still fall into it...particularly if I get startled or frightened.  I also had to start doing some special leg exercises, because the new position caused me to develop heel pain.  However, these little problems were able to be overcome--and I was very pleased that I could now ride my bike properly on the seat post like I was supposed to.

Bicycling Can Be a Pain in the Butt...Literally

Bicycling changed my life for the better.  However, there were some other problems I felt should be addressed as a warning to all who consider this activity.  I don't remember having this problem when I was a kid.  Our bodies seem so forgiving when we are young.

If you ride a bike, you run a risk of developing saddle sores.  These are painful little sores that develop on your bottom or genitalia--in areas that gets sweaty, hot, and might have rubbing friction.  If the problem is allowed to worsen, they can actually erupt and start bleeding.

I remember laughing when I read articles by bicyclists telling you that you need to find a doctor who is also into bicycling.  Regular doctors just don't understand.  When you present them with your tushy full of bleeding saddle sores, they'll just look disgusted and say, "Well, stop riding your bicycle for a little while!" The nerve of those doctors! I mean, just because your butt is bleeding, that is no reason to recommend doing something so drastic like stop riding your bicycle!  That is like telling someone who suffers from asthma to just stop breathing, right?  What is scary is that in the midst of my bicycle obsession, this totally made sense.

The good news is, your butt does get used to bicycling.  However, there are preventive measures you can also take.  For one thing, you can buy a gel cushion for your bicycle seat.  Be certain to measure your seat to ensure you get the right one.  You can also purchase a new bicycle seat.  As mentioned before, you may need to find the right seat for your butt.

However, personal hygiene can make a big difference.  Here is one major rule you need to follow:  don't stay in your sweaty clothes after you are done bike riding! You need to change.  You should also take a shower or at least wipe down with anti-bacterial wipes.  I found a package of waterless wash rags--which are like baby wipes but much bigger and thicker.  I've made myself a travel pack that includes deodorant, toothbrush, and these wash cloths.  I'll also, on longer trips, bring a change of clothes.  Washing and changing clothes will actually do a great deal to prevent saddle sores from developing.

Many people differ in opinion as to what type of anti-chafing cream you should use.  Some swear by Vaseline, but others claim that can clog pores.  Others have their brands of Chamois or butter cream.  Some recommend Desitin.

I personally swear by hydrocortisone.  Of course, my main problem was heat rash.  For saddle sores, I relied on Triple Antibiotic Cream.  Desitin was awful for me because it seemed to make my heat rash worse.  I had the same problem as a baby when I had diaper rash.

When I'm at home and not expecting company or deliveries, I've started wearing long dresses so I can go without underwear.  It is good to allow that area to breathe when you can.  It was actually shocking for me to do.  I was brought up to believe one should always wear underwear, and to particularly make sure you wear clean underwear when you went out (I still do this).  If you get into an accident, you don't want the paramedics making snide comments over your maimed, bloody body about how you are a nasty girl because you aren't wearing underwear or clean underwear.

For all the problems, though, I love bicycling.  It really has changed my life.  To think that two months ago I was even afraid to go to the grocery store, and now I've discovered so many places in my neighborhood.  The one that I'm most excited about was a natural reserve that was just a few blocks away that I never knew about.  I look forward to exploring Florida like a tourist.  I'm a native Floridian, and yet I've never been to many places that the tourists visit.  The Adventure Cycling place has two routes in Florida.  One is a loop that explores several cities, including St. Augustine.  Another explores Key West.

There are health benefits, of course.  I started losing weight and firming up.  My mental health issues have really benefited.  I've made a lot of progress overcoming my fears.  Bicycling is a wonderful way to really see what is around you.  A car moves too fast to often take in the scenery.

I really hope that bicycling will continue to gain popularity.  The Adventure Bicyclists Association is trying to develop a national bike route that will link all the states together.  I dream of a world full of bike lanes, where cars and bicyclists share the road safely.

My first real outing with Nikola, where we visited a park that was several blocks away.  Notice how the seat is--this is before I ordered the Schwinn seat that allowed me to ride on the post.

Snake Creek Trail #1 was the site of our first accident.  I ran Nikola into the metal fence at the right with the signs.  This path has a sharp decline that surprised me, and I was worried I would run into those yellow posts ahead, so I swerved to avoid them.  The posts were put up to keep cars from using the bike trail as a short cut.

Carver Ranches Library was the first time I locked Nikola up and left him for a while.  This caused a lot of anxiety, but it was an important thing to overcome.  To truly enjoy being able to go to places and explore, you have to be able to let go of your fear of leaving your bike.  However, I'm always glad to see that he is still there when I return.  I have cables and a U-lock to secure him, though finding a good place to lock him up can be challenging if there are no bike racks.
I hadn't been to a MacDonalds in years.  One day I decided to have breakfast at one.  I chose a sitting place where I could keep an eye on Nikola--more because I was worried about his gigantic friend.

The first picture of Nikola and I together.

Picture of me in my bike helmet.  I didn't show how cool it was from the side--it matches Nikola's coloring.  I'm definitely for wearing bike helmets now after having two accidents!
This is my helmet from the side.


This is a picture of the screw that Nikola lost that Huffy nicely replaced.
Me modeling the first muu-muu dress I made.  I'm posing with Nikola, who had been chilling out after a bike ride earlier.  His tires tend to put off a rubbery smell after a bike ride, so I tend to let him cool down so the smell won't overwhelm my room.

In the future, I'll show pictures of places I've been and stories of my adventures while exploring.  Stay tuned! I can't wait to see how far I go!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Babylonian Deity: A Harry Potter/Sinister Crossover Fan Fiction Story

Review of Lego Star Wars Boba Fett Alarm Clock

Review of Disney's Cinderella's Fairy Godmother 12" Doll