Monterey Chickpea Sandwich



Many years ago, I had a brief flirtation with vegetarianism.  I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, which means I ate eggs and milk.  I could never commit to being a vegan.  I had health concerns because vitamin B-12, which is quite essential, can only come from animal products.  Another problem is that I have a sensitivity to soy products, which vegans often use as a substitution.

I lasted a full year on this diet.  I even got through the holidays.  After the holidays, I caved to the temptation of a bacon cheeseburger.  As it turns out, my falling off the wagon coincided with my disenchantment for what caused me to become a vegetarian in the first place. I had been interested in Buddhism, and though I still retain many beliefs from this religion...like most organized religions, there were other things I didn't believe enough to commit.

I don't regret, though, that year of vegetarianism.  It opened up a whole new world of foods.  Like most Americans, prior to this, meat was the major meal.  It usually was accompanied by starchy vegetables.  I did a lot of research before becoming a vegetarian.  I had many misgivings about whether it was healthy...and what did you eat?  If you don't eat meat, what else is there?


The above book--New Vegetarian Cuisine by Linda Rosensweig (ISBN:  0-87596-314-5    UPC:  9780875963143 51495) really helped me.  It introduced me to a whole new world of meatless meals.  It is actually a very diverse and delicious world.  I discovered different types of beans, grains, and vegetables.  I learned how to use all of these, as well as fruit, in different ways.  The meals were satisfying and healthy.  I didn't really feel that deprived.  Of course, yes, I did eventually go back to meat.  However, I eat less of it now...and I still enjoy many meatless meals.

Though I had started cooking before I became a vegetarian, I really started developing it once I got into that lifestyle.  I had to.  I discovered that I had a passion for cooking and was pretty good at it.  This was another benefit I got from that year.  I've even created my own meals.

This is one of them.  Probably no one misses meat more than when it comes time for sandwiches.  Peanut butter and jelly is probably the only meatless alternative most people can come up with.  However, beans can also give you many delicious variations.

INGREDIENTS

For Chickpea Mixture

1 16 oz can (454 g) of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 tsp (5 ml) of olive oil
1/8 tsp (.6 ml) cumin
1/8 tsp (.6 ml) chili powder
1/8 tsp (.6 ml) garlic
1/8 tsp (.6 ml) Montreal Steak Seasoning (*substitute red pepper if you don't have this)

For the sandwich

1 Flatout Fold it Flatbread 5 Grain Flax
1/4 cup (59 ml) of the prepared chickpea mixture
1/4 tsp (1 ml) of mayonnaise
1/4 tsp (1 ml) of salsa
1 slice of Monterey Jack cheese w/ Jalapeno peppers (*you can substitute regular Monterey Jack cheese)
4 slices of cucumber
1 cherry tomato, sliced
1 black olive, sliced


DIRECTIONS

1.  Heat the olive oil in a skillet or saucepan in preparation to make the chickpea mixture.

2.  Add chickpeas to the pan, warming them up.

3.  Add the spices and stir thoroughly.  Remove from heat and dump chickpeas either in a bowl or food processor.  Mash the chickpeas into a paste.

4.  Take a 1/4 cup of this mixture and put it on one side of the flatout bread.

5.  Mix the mayonnaise and salsa together and then spread it on the opposite side of the bread.

6.  Top the chickpea mixture with the cheese, cucumber, tomato, and black olive.

7.  Fold the bread and enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Babylonian Deity: A Harry Potter/Sinister Crossover Fan Fiction Story

Review of Lego Star Wars Boba Fett Alarm Clock

Review of Disney's Cinderella's Fairy Godmother 12" Doll