Northern Teriyaki Steak with Vegetables



This is a recipe I put together one day with what I had around the house.  I call it Northern Teriyaki Steak because I use vegetables that are popular in the North:  zucchini and yellow squash.  Be warned that some people have an allergic reaction to zucchini...or at least a sensitivity to it.  Some people experience embarrassing bowel problems.  I'm sorry to bring up something gross when I'm talking about food, but I thought that I should warn you...if you've never had zucchini before, don't try it when you have somewhere to go and are not going to have access to a bathroom.  Many times, if I don't have zucchini, I substitute cucumber...but I would not recommend that in this particular recipe.  If you don't have it, just use the yellow squash.



INGREDIENTS

  • 1/8 cup canola oil
  • 13 oz. of round or sirloin steak
  • 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
  • 1 3/4 cup sliced Bella mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped yellow squash
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons teriyaki sauce (I use the brand Kikkoman)
  • 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon + a pinch of garlic
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon dried instant rice


Sirloin is more tender, but I find that round is better tasting for this particular recipe.  However, you have to be careful while cooking, because round is a tougher meat...and cooking it for too long can result in it becoming like leather.  All the spices are dried.  If you don't have lemon pepper seasoning, you can substitute lemon juice and black pepper.  I would suggest a 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice with 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.  (If you don't know, 1/8 teaspoon is a half of a 1/4 teaspoon)

I have a tendency to have old spices.  When spices are old, they tend to lose their potency.  For this reason, if something sounds like it is too much, then perhaps break it into smaller amounts and season to your liking.  New spices and particularly fresh spices (those that aren't dried) are going to be much more potent and stronger in taste.

I personally love cloves for any steak dish.  As far as I'm concerned, cloves bring out the flavor of steak.  However, you have to be careful with cloves.  They can be overpowering if you use too much.

This recipe will take about 30-35 minutes to make from start to finish.

DIRECTIONS:

1.  Warm the canola oil in a skillet at medium heat.  If the steak is thick, pound it then with a tenderizing hammer.

2.  Cook the steak, turning it over when one side gets brown to cook evenly.  Cook until it is medium rare if it is round.  You can cook it until it is well done if it is sirloin.  Remember that round can get tough quickly, so that is why I don't recommend cooking it until it is well done at this step.

3.  Remove the steak and cut it into small pieces.  If you have anyone who has difficulty chewing or has large tonsils, try to get the pieces as small as possible...or if you have a large family, and you are trying to spread the ingredients as far as possible.

4.  Add the vegetables to the same skillet you cooked the steak in.

5.  Add the steak bits to the skillet with the vegetables.  Stir thoroughly.

6.  Add the seasonings and teriyaki sauce (be sure to shake the teriyaki sauce before using).  Stir again thoroughly, particularly since the lemon pepper seasoning tends to come out in clumps.

7.  Cover with a lid for a for 3-5 minutes to allow the vegetables to tenderize.

8.  Make the minute rice according to your brand's instructions.

9.  Top the rice with the steak mixture.


I really hate figuring calories and such.  This recipe makes about three servings (1 serving = 1 cup).  I think this is how it comes out per serving if you cook this meal with round steak (and I am including 1/2 cup of instant rice):

Calories:  462
Fat:  20 g
Cholesterol:  91 mg
Sodium:  589 mg
Carbs:  31 g
Fiber:  3 g
Sugar:  6 g
Protein:  38 g


I don't know if this is the healthiest meal.  When I make it, I usually don't eat much for breakfast or dinner (I always eat my meat meals in the afternoon when my digestion is at its best).  You can reduce the amount of meat to lower the fat, and you can reduce the amount of teriyaki sauce to lower sodium.

I hope you enjoy it if you make it!







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Harry Potter and the Babylonian Deity: A Harry Potter/Sinister Crossover Fan Fiction Story

Review of Lego Star Wars Boba Fett Alarm Clock

Review of Disney's Cinderella's Fairy Godmother 12" Doll